Thursday, October 18, 2007

It's A Matter of Perspective

For the last week or so, I've been struggling through a scene in my current book. I'd write something, then get rid of it. Then I'd write something else, but it didn't work either. Yesterday, it hit me like the proverbial brick... I was writing the scene in the wrong POV (that's "point of view" for those of you who aren't obsessed with craft issues). As soon as I switched to the POV of my heroine, the whole thing fell into place. Boy, did that feel good!

You know, I do that in my day-to-day life, too. Sometimes, I'll struggle to deal with something ("How could she talk to me that way?") until I finally look at the situation from the other person's point of view. Then, even though I still might not appreciate it, I can at least start to understand it.

How about you? Have you ever needed to change your POV, either in writing or real life? Give it a try... It's amazing what a different perspective can do for you!

No comments: