Friday, February 1, 2008

REVIEW - Chocolate Beach by Julie Carobini

chocolate beach coverI just had the joy of reading Chocolate Beach by Julie Carobini. Rather than write my own recap, here’s the back-of-the-book blurb:

Bri Stone has it all: the man of her dreams and their surf-riding teenage son, a chocolate-loving best pal, an adorable beach bungalow, and a kicky job as a Southern California tour bus host. She also has a few things she did not ask for: a know-it-all friend, a snobby mother-in-law, and a Fabio-meets-Dilbert boss. All three of them seem eager to share their strong opinions and suspicions about Bri's relationship with her husband, Douglas. When Bri’s rose-colored sunglasses crack after she finds evidence that Douglas has grown tired of her carefree ways, she resolves to win him back. Can Bri reinvent herself – and recapture his heart?
I’ll admit, I’m a chocoholic, so I was first drawn to this book by the title and cover. But from the very first page, I was hooked by the story.

Bri Stone is a woman I completely relate to. Bri loves her family and has a great life. But she’s also got that little voice in her head, the one that asks “Am I good enough?” When Bri decides she needs to remodel not only her home, but herself, the results are hilarious, and touching. Who among us hasn’t thought that a new hairstyle or wardrobe might make everything better? I know I have.

Carobini’s writing style is warm and breezy, like an afternoon at the beach. She does a wonderful job evoking the mood and feeling of seaside life. You can tell how much she loves the beach herself, because it shines so passionately through Bri. As for chocolate, well, my only complaint about this book is that I kept wanting to run out and buy some! And after reading about chocolate chili, silky chocolate soup and chocolate-cherry fondue, I was really sad there weren’t recipes at the end. But that’s probably for the best… Bethany House, my hips thank you for the lack of recipes!

If you’re looking for a fun book that will make you feel good all over, grab a copy of Chocolate Beach And be on the lookout for Julie’s next book, Truffles by the Sea available on line and in stores now! (Visit my blog on February 11th to catch an interview with Julie.)

No comments: