Saturday, July 21, 2007

Live Free, Die Hard, Mellow Out

Last week, my husband and I saw Live Free, Die Hard, the forth (and presumably final) Die Hard movie. I've gotta say, I really enjoyed this one. It had loads of action, but at the same time it was, dare I say, more mellow?

Don't get me wrong, this is a Die Hard movie, after all. Things blow up, people crawl over broken glass, and incredible stunts are staged. Bruce Willis as John McClain is as wonderfully maverick as ever, taking on the bad guys and saving the country, all while dragging along a techie-nerd accidental partner (convincingly played by Justin Long, the "Mac" in the Apple commercials) and saving his daughter. What a guy!

But there's one big difference between this and the other Die Hard movies... this one is PG-13. When we were leaving the movie, my husband said, "This one didn't seem as bloody." He was right. Oh, it's got blood, just not as much. And there's swearing, just not as much. And the famous "Yippee Kye Yay (you know the rest)" does make its way in there, but just once, and I gotta say it felt very appropriate when it's said.

The makeup of the audience was interesting, too. Out of the 2 dozen or so people we saw the movie with, only four of them were teenagers (and they were brought by their parents). The rest were my age (43) or older. Obviously, they were fans of the first 3 movies, and there we all were, drawn together by nostalgia, to share in John McClain's last hurrah. It would have been a poignant moment, if it hadn't been a Die Hard movie. Yippee... oh, you know!

No comments: