Sunday, December 28, 2008

A Look Back at 2008 – The Music

Ah, music. I cannot drive in the car without it. I'm one of those radio belters. And I like to have it on while I'm working, although I rarely can write to music with words. Instrumentals are best for that.

Looking back at 2008, I discovered some new music, rediscovered some old favorites, and puzzled over a few things...

Favorite CD Released This Year by an American Idol Winner: David Cook by David Cook
Mr. Cook kind of came out of nowhere on AI. I don't remember seeing him at all during the audition shows until the one where they told him he was going through. But what a great surprise he was. What I like the most is the emotion he puts into each song, along with the raw rumble of his vocals.

Favorite CD Released Last Year by an American Idol Winner: Carnival Ride by Carrie Underwood
I like the unique, country/pop twist Underwood gives most of her songs. For example, two of my favorite songs on this CD are Crazy Dreams and Last Name. And the girl can belt one out with the best of them.

Favorite CD by a Group I Forgot I Loved: Greatest Hits by The Newsboys
The Newsboys have been around for awhile... my husband and I listened to them while we were dating, and we just celebrated our 17th anniversary. But it wasn't until I spotted this CD at the library that I remembered how much I enjoyed them. Now my son is a Newsboys fan. Their lyrics range from crazy fun (They don't serve breakfast in Hell) to worshipful adoration (I'm alive and well, Your Spirit is within me, Because You died and rose again). Extra! Extra! The Newsboys rock!

Most Confusing Lyric in a Beloved Christmas Song: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year
I've been at lots of Christmas gatherings, but never one where we told scarry ghost stories. What's that about? Maybe it's because stories rhymes with glories at the end of the next line, but it stops me in my tracks every time I hear the song.

Favorite New (to me) Soundtrack: Spamalot - The Broadway Cast Recording
Billy and I were able to see Spamalot in Vegas the week before the show closed (thank you to whoever decided to give locals the chance to buy two-for-one tickets). I can't tell you how much fun we had. So, not only is the soundtrack fun to sing along to, but it reminds me of that great memory of hanging out with my son.

Those are my musical highlights for the year. Are there any songs you just can't get out of your head?

No comments: