Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Importance of Placement on Your Product

Around Christmas time, my son and I were kicking around in Borders, checking out all the new books. I was looking at a table of trade paperbacks when he hurried up to me.

"Mom, you've got to see this."

He pulled me up to a New Release table in front of the store and showed me this. It's Clapton: The Autobiography. Unfortunately, poor sticker placement had obliterated part of the letters, turning the title into - I'm sorry to say - Crapton.

I was laughing so hard I could hardly hold the camera still. It's a miracle the picture turned out as clear as it did.

Obviously, the harried stock clerk who slapped the sticker on this puppy didn't notice what he'd done.

Or did he... ?

5 comments:

TL Hines said...

Maybe the sticker placement was the employee's review of the book.

Jennifer AlLee said...

HA! Quite possible :+}

Richard Mabry said...

Jennifer,
Who said there was no humor in the publishing industry?
Even though I don't think there's anything on the cover that could be turned into a mistake like this, I'm very, very careful about the placement of the little "signed by the author" stickers I use.

L said...

That is so funny! That aught to sell well!

Jennifer AlLee said...

Yep, I think you're safe, Doc. I certainly will be VERY careful with sticker placement from now on.