Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Beginning the Annual Battle of the Bulge


There's a reason why stores promote fitness equipment at the first of the year. It's because we're all looking forward to a new year full of new possibilities. And those of us who struggle with weight issues ALWAYS vow that this will be the year we get our bodies under control.

I've got a confession to make... I had it licked. About two years ago, I made it. I reached my goal weight. I wasn't Sports Illustrated swimsuit model material, but I was happy. More importantly, I felt healthy. It was awesome.

Then I threw it all away.

Even though I knew exactly how to eat and how to maintain my weight, I let myself go. I'm an emotional eater, which means every emotion elicits a "go eat" response. I eat to celebrate. I eat when I'm bored. I eat when I'm depressed. Frankly, "fun food" is my addiction.

I find myself starting off the year facing a sobering fact: I'm 28 pounds over my goal weight. Worse than that, I'm eating food that I know makes me feel bad. Over the years, I've learned that too many carbohydrates (especially refined sugar) affect me in a bad way, emotionally as well as physically.

So here I go, joining the masses in a vow to make this the year I lose that weight and actually keep it off. For me, it's more about changing my mindset than the food itself. How about you? Anybody out there in the same boat? What's your plan? And if you've battle with weight and been victorious, do you have any tips for us? Our ears are alert and ready!

3 comments:

Niki Turner said...

Jogging up alongside you in the fat fight! I lost 30 pounds five years ago and have kept it off by monitoring my food intake and consistent exercise. My inspiration? The Biggest Loser. I figured if they could do it, so could I, and I followed the same plan - 1200 calories a day until the weight was gone. God's instructions/encouragement to me? "It's just math. You can do math, right?"

Diane M Graham said...

Hey Jennifer,

I figured the other day that I have gained a pound for every year I have been married (18). This year, I think I want to go back a few years. LOL

Carole said...

I'm surprised you've only got two comments so far, Jennifer! Everyone else must be in denial.

Yes, I'm exactly where you are, with about the same number of pounds to loose. I used to do Weight Watchers, but discovered Spark and love it. It's free, has great resources, but the best thing is the support and accountability from joining a team. I joined a Christian reading team and discovered that a few Christian fiction authors also use Spark.

The best thing I can recommend is - instead of following a diet plan - simply eat low fat and sugar free, track what you eat, and exercise. The weight will come off slowly and in a healthy way. This has to become a lifestyle and this method is easy to follow once you reach goal weight.